PEDAL POWERED VEHICLES WITH PATENTED PROGRESSIVE SPRING MOTOR
While Pedal Powered Vehicles are far from being a new idea, very few of those available are designed for multiple-passenger (i.e, family) use, or for transport of commercial goods. This is primarily due to the limited amount of mechanical energy that can be produced and sustained by the average human body, which has heretofore restricted the useful range and speed of these vehicles.
To overcome these restrictions, Howe2, LLC has patented its “Progressive Spring Motor” as shown in following illustrations. While the subject patent is broadly titled Pedal Powered Vehicle, the US Patent Office accepted claims more specifically detail the uniqueness of the motor itself. The motor enhances the human power which, in turn, provides the ability transport multiple passengers and/or freight within local areas, and at or near highway speeds for limited distances. Multiple pedal stations provide continuous input to the motor depending on the number of passengers able to pedal and how they are utilized. For example, four capable passengers could input one-at-a-time in a relay sequence, two at-a-time for increased power, or in any combination necessary for the current circumstances. Therefore, the more passengers, the longer the range.
The motor itself could be easily adaptable, in various forms, to a large number of the aforementioned existing human powered vehicles, and, possibly even some small stripped-down cars (such a s a VW bug) to create an additional market. With gasoline prices and inflation continuing to skyrocket, the need for such vehicles becomes more evident and more attractive to those who cannot afford these damaging impacts to their budget. And, not insignificantly, they will be the ultimate “Green machine” for the environment, plus an excellent family fitness device while commuting. Howe2, LLC , through BankOnIP, presents this concept for licensing or purchase to whomever will efficiently produce, sell/trade/lease, deliver, and support the patented motor in any configuration or vehicle design they prefer. The illustrations above are but a few possible design ideas.
The Pedal Powered Vehicle is a100% muscle-powered vehicle with a wind-up spring motor assist to transport two to six passengers – or more. Each vehicle has multiple-speed shifters, all supplying power to a continuously variable transmission (CVT) which drives the rear axle. Highway speeds of fifty to seventy-plus mph may be attainable even while hauling significant loads.
The complete drive train includes an 8-speed shifter to allow for down-shifting as the spring tension increases, a disk brake assembly permanently affixed to the final housing extension to anchor the winding process (Note: The winding process can be engaged either while stationary or while traveling at slow speeds under normal pedal power.), a one-way clutch bearing which locks onto the drive shaft when the brake is released thereby transferring the stored spring energy directly to the drive shaft, and a continuously variable transmission (CVT) connected to the drive shaft which supplies variable shifting input to the differential and rear axle. Highway speeds of fifty to seventy-plus mph may be attainable for limited distances even while hauling significant loads. For complete details, explanations, prototype demos, videos, and possible additional applications of the Progressive Spring Motor, please schedule appointments with Howe2, LLC through BankOnIP.
PRODUCT FEATURES & BENEFITS
- Conceived as an alternative, fuel-less, and reliable multi-passenger, and freight hauling method of transportation if or when conventional fueled vehicles become useless. This includes electric vehicles which also rely on gas- or coal-fired power plants for their charging energy!
- Better for families than other remaining forms of travel such as bicycles, horses or other animals, or walking.
- In the event of a very possible economic collapse, or gas supplies completely shutting down, or simply gasoline prices rising beyond the reach of average consumers – it will allow people and families to continue to commute to work, school, church, grocery stores or farmers markets, Walmarts, etc., thereby enabling commerce to continue even if only on a more localized basis.
- The ability for people to meet their needs during such a crisis could greatly reduce or possibly even eliminate chaos, riots, scrounging, and violence inherent to such panic-prone disasters.
- Easily adaptable to existing human powered vehicles.
- Can be modified to replace gas powered engines in small conventional cars and trucks.
- A solar charged, 12 volt battery operated, limited electrical system for lights, heating, radio, etc., will be an add-on option.
- It will provide a fun and environmentally clean way to exercise while commuting.
- Cost of production, once in an assembly-line environment, is estimated to be in the $500 to $1000 range depending on the desired options.
The Progressive Spring Motor incorporates the following:
- Adaptability of both the mounting system and the motor size to fit varied vehicles and applications.
- Multiple Pedal Stations connected by chains or belts through an 8-speed Shifter and a 90-degree gearbox to a Main Drive Shaft.
- The drive shaft extends the full length of the motor and connects through the Continuously Variable Transmission (CVT) to the Differential and Rear Axle. This alone can power the vehicle at slow speeds.
- A manual Engagement Mechanism to connect the Drive Shaft rotary power to the Initial Winding Shaft. The Winding Shaft is free to rotate around the Drive Shaft and is supported by Roller Bearings at each of its ends. The aft end of the Winding Shaft is ribbed so as to slide freely into the grooved, freewheeling Hub in the Frist Spring Cylinder. The Hub is also supported around the Drive Shaft by Roller Bearings, and is securely fastened to the inner end of the Spring. The outer end is of the Spring is securely fastened to the inside wall of the Cylinder Housing. The first Cylinder Housing Extension is also ribbed so as to slide into the grooved Hub of the second Cylinder. This arrangement repeats for the desired number of Cylinders.
- A Disk Brake assembly is securely attached to the last Cylinder Housing Extension and, when engaged, anchors the winding process. When the Disk Brake is released, the stored energy in the series of Springs is transferred directly to the Drive Shaft through a one-way Clutch Bearing.
- The Drive Shaft connects directly to the CVT which regulates the power to the Differential and the Rear Axle.
The Pedal Powered Vehicle is covered by United States Utility Patent: 10,787,224
For additional information, licensing opportunities, and a full prospectus on the Pedal Powered Vehicle contact:
VP of Business Development